Timeline of Linden Hall
The Founding of Linden Hall
Linden Hall was founded in 1746 by the Moravian Church, a leader in the field of education, and among the first to establish schools for girls in the original 13 colonies.
A Legacy of Embroidery
Ornamental needlework instruction was taught at Linden Hall for over 100 years, beginning in the late 1700s. In our current collection, the earliest needlework is from 1776 and depicts a goat in satin stitch on a silk background.
The American Revolution
During the Revolutionary War, Washington ordered the Brethren’s house, adjacent to Linden Hall, to be taken over as a military hospital. A diphtheria epidemic there caused many students to return home during the winter of 1777–78. Just four girls remained, continuing their education in the Sisters’ House.
A New Name
Reverend Eugene Frueauff became Headmaster in 1838. He and his wife Agnes planted the linden trees, honoring his German heritage, and subsequently named the school Linden Hall.
The Linden Hall Echo is a student literary magazine that began in 1877 and continues today. The Echo is the oldest continuously published school journal in the country.
The Mary Dixon Chapel
The Mary Dixon Chapel was dedicated by George W. Dixon in honor of his daughter, Mary Dixon, a young alumna. Architect Willis G. Hale of Philadelphia designed the limestone and sandstone building that has become a prominent sight in the community.
The Equestrian Program
Headmaster Dr. Stengel brought the riding program to Linden Hall in 1925. The stables were located across Main Street until the new stables were built in their existing location on campus in 1981. The Bit and Spur Club, Linden Hall’s riding club, would sponsor various riding events, while the Vanguards was the advanced competition team.
The Junior College
In 1935, Headmaster Dr. Stengel developed the Linden Hall Junior College, which was known for its pioneering secretarial program. In 1961, the Junior College was discontinued to focus on the Academy.
The Haldeman Rock Collection
In 2013, a box of dirty rocks found in the Archives was restored and verified as the Samuel Haldeman Rock Collection, in Linden Hall’s possession since being donated in 1881 by Mrs. S.S. Haldeman, a Linden Hall alumna and wife of the 19th-century naturalist, Samuel Haldeman.
Soaring to New Heights
In keeping with the tradition of being a forerunner in the education of young women, Linden Hall introduced its Aviation program in 2014. This unique opportunity provides students with the knowledge, skills, and in-flight training to obtain their private pilot’s license while still in high school.